Our goal is to provide our community with information related to special education and to work with Lexington’s Special Education Department to ensure ALL children have equal access to educational opportunities in a safe, nurturing, and academically appropriate learning environment.
Who are we?
- Parents and guardians of children who receive special education services under the auspices of the Lexington School Department, either in or out of the community, on an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or a 504 Plan.
- Parents who are interested in learning about the special education process.
Why join the SEPAC & SEPTA?
- Information: We keep members updated on LPS special education programs and services, and help members find area resources and services outside of LPS (therapists, medical professionals, recreational activities, research).
- Support: You get help from other parents in the SEPAC/SEPTA community — including how to resolve questions and issues — via monthly meetings, an email discussion list, PAC subcommittees, and support groups. Our members include parents with years of experience in the Lexington Public Schools who can help you and your child.
- Access and Advocacy: We bring you leading experts—from both within LPS and from outside professional organizations—and provide opportunities for communication with LPS leaders and decision-makers. You become part of a larger group advocating for high quality special education services, and help make our voice heard when advocating for special education programming in LPS.
- Teacher Appreciation: We sponsor annual special education staff appreciation events in all of the Lexington schools.
If you have any concerns about privacy, please note that we do not share member lists with Lexington Public Schools (LPS) staff or parents (including other SEPAC & SEPTA members). You may join our email lists with an anonymous username if you are not comfortable with identifying yourself or your child.